ATLANTIC CITY, NJ – Because we arrived a few hours early at the Tropicana Casino Hotel for our first ever trip to the Maxwell Football Club’s Annual Awards Gala, we thought it might be best if we got the lay of the land and attempted to find the locations for the evening’s festivities.
After we located the venues for the VIP Reception and the Dinner, it was off to find the auditorium for the evening’s Award Show. When we walked in, there were a handful of people hanging around as the press conference had just concluded.
Then, president of the Maxwell Football Club greeted us.
He’s served the last 27 years as their president.
Ron Jaworski! It was “Jaws” himself!
Just as he is on television, Jaws was beaming with excitement about the evening.
“So glad you guys are here. You’ll love it, because it’s all about football! Football!” he proudly said.
And it was.
“Honoring Excellence at All Levels of Football” (literally) is what the Maxwell Football Club does so well. And they’ve done it now for 80 years!
Just some of the incredible award winners who were honored during the evening emceed by Mike Mayock of the NFL Network:
- Tri-State Player of the Year – Jonathan Taylor, Salem High School (Salem, Pa.)
- National Player of the Year – Tate Marshall, Bishop HS (Las Vegas, NV)
- Tri-State Player of the Year – Trace McSorley, Penn State
- Tri-State Coach of the Year – James Franklin, Penn State
- Maxwell Award – College Player of the Year – Lamar Jackson, Louisville
- Chuck Bednarik Award – Jonathan Allen, Alabama
- College Coach of the Year – Nick Saban, Alabama
- Bert Bell Player of the Year – Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
- Earle Neal Coach of the Year – Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders
- Contributions to Game of Football – Steve Spurrier
- Legends Award – Roger Staubach
- Spirit Award – James Conner, Pittsburgh
- Humanitarian Award – Conner Barwin, Philadelphia Eagles
- Innovation in Safety Award – Allen Wright, Kansas City Chiefs
- Uplifting Athletes Rare Disease Champion Award – Mitchell Myers, Iowa State
The National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) was well represented at the event with Kendall Cason Iles (Davey O’Brien Foundation), Tom Lally (Walter Camp Football Foundation) and Phil Marwill (National Football Foundation) in attendance.
Looking forward to next year already.
Happy 80th, Maxwell!